Monday, January 3, 2011

Geislor Moroder Trip 010311




Carving the Atlantes

What's an Atlantes? It's the male version of the Carytyd. What's a Carytyd? Wikipedia defines it as a sculpted female figure serving as an architectural support taking the place of a column or a pillar. The Atlantes is of course the male version. I have this old barn beam that someone gave me many moons ago and have wanted to carve a pair of ornamental brackets to hold it up. So here is the plan: Carve a male and female version of the Carytid to act as shelf supports for the beam. I should have a good start on the male version by the end of the week and with any luck I will find some time to make the female version. So in other words, by the year 2020 I should have the shelf in place.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished model I completed on Day I. I've slimmed the hips down a little since I took the pictures. The figure was looking a little female like so I made it a little less hippie.

The picture order is reversed. The last picture is the beginning of the clay model. The first and second pics are the more or less finished model. Tomorrow I start the carving.


No comments:

Post a Comment